Taste layers of flavor from caramelized onions to mouthwatering pork shoulder slow cooked in tomato juice and Italian seasonings. Serve over pasta for a prime mealtime experience.
4 pounds Chairman’s Reserve® Prime pork shoulder cut into 4 large chunks
3 cans whole plum tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1 large onion, diced
½ large red pepper, diced
½ large green pepper, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste (canned tomatoes already have a lot of salt so be careful)
6 large fresh basil leaves (plus more for garnish if desired)
2 tablespoons fennel seed (optional)
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1. Push tomatoes with their juices through a sieve or food mill and set them aside.
- 2. In a large sauce pan, heat the oil on low and stir in the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes and then add onion and pepper. Continue to cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes.
- 3. Add the tomatoes to the pot and stir. Add the basil. Set sauce on low heat.
- 4. In a large non-stick fry pan, brown the pork pieces on all sides until very brown. Add pork to the pot with the tomatoes and the fennel.
- 5. Let the sauce cook on low heat for about 3 to 3 ½ hours or until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally. Add sugar if desired and stir to mix well.
- 6. With two forks break the meat up into small chunks. Let cook in sauce for 15 minutes. To serve, spoon Ragu over pasta.